Thursday, March 29, 2012

Girls' Night In :)

G'day everyone! Thank you to all who have taken the time to read my blog, I have enjoyed the feedback from many of you and am relieved I am not writing only to cyber space :) 

I have continued to have a fabulous time at school and at home. Tuesday the school had "gold pass" day which is when the students who have gone through the term without getting detention get to choose in a fun activity. I was outside with the "water pistols" I had to laugh because not only did they get to bring water guns..which would be greatly frowned upon (or should I say not allowed the least bit) in American schools, but they took the whole last hour of the day for the kids to have a shot at seeing who can drench their peers the most. It was SO MUCH FUN watching the kids let their hair down and just be kids. I was discussing with my teacher that they justify it by saying one hour is only 6 minutes per week for the past 10 weeks and the kids deserve it. I couldn't agree more. And shocker, no one was complaining about the "weapons" or even misused them in any way. I think this was a great reward, better than rewarding kids with a movie or junk food, just some quality time with their peers building social skills by the squirt of their nerf guns.

Yesterday (Wednesday) at Morayfield East was Cross Country Day. Each grade divides with boys and girls and runs around the school and school yard for a total of 2.5km. The school divides into "teams" according by their last name. The teams earn points throughout the term by activities, sports days, districts and carnival games. I love the idea of this because it motivates the kids to work for something, they belong to a team just by having a last name. The competition throughout the school is amazing, and again, something that seems to be non-existent in American schools. I have always believed that a little competition doesn't hurt anyone.

Today we had a whole school parade, or assembly. Coleby performed in the junior choir to an adorable grizzly bear song. The school 7th grade captain acknowledged us to the entire school and staff which was very touching. The gym teacher introduced the top runners from yesterday's cross country meet and the house team winner. The house team captains came and received their trophy and then those students that belong got to sing their anthem--so so cool! The deputy principal engaged the other teams by asking what team wants to win the next activity and the students went wild. Such a cool environment!

After Cale came to my classroom to meet me to go walk to find Lynda. My cooperating teacher, Mrs. Knight, asked if he was looking for someone and he replied, "Melanie." Mrs. Knight corrected him by prompting him to call me Ms. Anderson, half joking. The funny thing is the boys will call me Ms. Anderson at home by accident sometimes... I guess I just confuse them so much being a sister and school teacher  :)

Lynda picked us up and we had afternoon tea outside while the boys swam. Lynda's sister came for tea and we looked through the Michael Hill jewelery catalogue picking out our diamonds. Brad is working an overnight shift at the fire station so Lynda and I chatted about girlie stuff while making veggie salads and dinner together. Such a fun night in with my perfect Oz mum- the only thing missing was a glass of Moscato!

I am so excited for the upcoming days! Tomorrow is the last day of term for the school so we have some fun stuff planned. Mrs. Knight is anticipating low numbers at school tomorrow due to parents A) not bothering bringing their kids to school or B) families taking an early holiday. (mind you, they already have a full two week holiday!) After school, Leah is picking up Andrea, Lynn, and myself and bringing us to her home in Redcliffe for a BBQ with her family then out to meet some of her friends. Saturday morning we are waking up and going on a spur of the moment trip to Sunshine Coast (EEK!) cannot wait :) Saturday evening I will be home to pack up for a CAMPING, yes, CAMPING trip with my host family to Tallebundgra Sunday-Thursday. We will be steps away from the ocean for five days. I plan to bring my book The Lucky One from my bestest friend, Mak and read that while laying in the sand. Of course, after my runs along the boardwalk. PARADISE. I just hope I have an outlet for my Garmin..??!

Ok, if you are still with me.. I have a funny! I promise it is funny but cannot promise the "funny" will show through the lines so I may have to retell once I am back in the states for those of you who need further clarification.. OK ANYWAY. A boy in my class was raising his hand during writing and I went to assist him. He asked me a question about "full stops" or periods. I helped him out and then he said, "Miss Anderson, I have one more question....after school do you go to a lot of parties after school and yell '(in the funniest, high pitch, fast voice ever) heyyywhatsupbrother?!?!?!'" I BURST out laughing and had to walk away. After this question I am scared to find out what the kid's perception on America really is....! :)

One more thing.. I have put a video of Coleby dancing on facebook. Please check it out. I about wet my pants laughing so hard. (sorry Dad, had to say it... I know "stupid, stupid, stupid) I hope you all find it as comical as I did! Next I will have to post a video of their cute accents....OH MY GOSH!

Have a great Friday everyone! (well Thursday... it's almost Friday for me...suckers!) Sending my thoughts and love to you all!
Mel xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment