Sunday, March 25, 2012

Have I mentioned I'm scared of heights...?

What a weekend! Each day was jam packed and I am really thinking how wonderful it would be if Australia called a school holiday tomorrow... ;) I am up at 11:20 filling out teaching applications for Mankato next year..which is NOT on my radar right now, but it needs to be done! Anyway, I cannot complain..I am in Australia.

Yesterday at Sutton's Beach was great! We had amazing weather and the Qut students were so nice to come out and join us. They want to hang out next weekend so they must think we are pretty cool too. Nina, Ashley, Lynn and I ventured off to the big city last night and when I say ventured off I mean it was quite an adventure! First off, Brad drops us off at the train station to find that the trains aren't running from Morayfield and we would have to take a bus to North Gate and then train to the city. Well, we bussed for an hour to North Gate and then found the train to South Bank. Somehow we got on the train without swiping our Go Cards so the security man on the train had to bear with us to figure out where we had gone wrong. We made it to the city though...such big girls! We walked around the boardwalk and on the new pedestrian bridge and just enjoyed where we were at in the moment. A funny thing of trying to capture every moment of this trip was when our pictures were not turning out or doing the city justice, we decided to put our cameras away and just soak it all in. Life lesson #1.  Later we found some fun outdoor bars for a couple of drinks to cap off the night before our long venture back to Morayfield. All in all, great night full of memories.





This morning I went to the markets with my host family and then off to Potsville which is about 2 hours from Morayfield. The weather was not ideal, I even had to put a jacket on! But Lynda and I went for a walk along the coast down surfers paradise and even with the clouds and wind it was absolutely breathe taking. I love the sound of the waves and the feeling of walking bare feet in the sand! Coleby tagged along for awhile and we searched for ghost crabs. He was excited to show me the holes the crabs make and explained that they make balls out of sand while digging, these balls look like sand flavored dippin' dots! I tried explaining dippin' dots to Lynda and Coleby but I do not think they completely understand what they are so I suppose they better come visit MOA and try some for themselves! Coleby found a large one and wanted to keep it on his ore from the paddle boat, he named the crab Minnesota- how precious!

After Potsville we headed to the heart of Surfers Paradise. Lynda, Coleby, Corey and I went to the top of the Q1 tower, which is 77 stories tall! When getting out of the elevator that wizzed us up to the top in a swift 44 seconds I told Lynda, "Have I mentioned I'm scared of heights?" she could not stop laughing and was in disbelief on why I would want to go to the top. Let me tell you, the pictures of the city from the top of this building was worth every drip of sweat on my palms.  (haha) The best part was we went up right before sunset so we were able to watch the sun set from the skyline and it was absolutely incredible! I cannot wait to tell my family I have gone up to the top of another building..after an incident in London they probably wouldn't think I would go to the top of a 3 story house let alone 77 stories! We finished off the evening walking along the ocean after dark. I cannot explain how much I love being by the water and hearing the waves. I need to find a shell to bring home where I can hear the waves crashing at all times. love. love. love.

Now back to applications. If anyone knows an easier way to get hired please let me know... I am over this application process :)

Cheers!
Mel xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment