Friday, March 23, 2012

Teacher Voice

Hi all! Since I have last posted I have been in my year six classroom twice. Thursday we went to Morayfield East State School in the morning to meet our teachers and class. I was welcomed right away by my teacher at the year 4-6 parade (assembly). After the parade we went back to the classroom and the students had Japanese. I was able to talk to my teacher during this time and then soon after was released to go back to Qut for some Subway with the girls, Qut staff and Kristin and Deb, our MSU professors who are with us for two weeks. Lunch was full of laughter and discussions on places in Oz that we have yet to discover.

Later Thursday afternoon we went to an art class at Qut with some Aussie students. It is fun to see how their classes and lectures compare to ours. The students were very welcoming and full of questions for us.

Friday was our first full day in the classroom and I absolutely LOVED it! My teacher is better than ever, we get along so well. The students are so fun, I love year six. I made a powerpoint quickly Thursday night with the help of Corey (to do conversions of temperature and measurements of MN climate and snowfall) to show my class Friday during school. They loved the picture of America and where Disney Land and Disney World are compared to Minnesota. I showed them where Mankato was and some pictures of the University. Many students live in poverty at this school so attending a Uni might not be on their radar, but if I can inspire one student..then I feel I was successful.

My blog title refers to a joke I have with my host family about "teacher voices." Lynda and I are both teachers so no one wants to hear that. Brad just has a "cranky" voice. :) Friday I went into Corey's year seven classroom to monitor the students taking a test while the teacher was making copies quick and my "teacher" voice had to come out towards one of the students in the class who was trying to goof off. Corey and I had a laugh about it after school.

Brad picked the boys and me up from school, we packed up for Brisbane City to go to the markets and have fish and chips by the Brisbane River. It was so beautiful walking up and down the boardwalk in perfect weather (finally!) and NO BUGS :) however, Cale and I did count 5+ bats, and Aussie bats are about 5x the size of bats at home....YUCK! Anyway, we had yummy fish and chips on a blanket by the beach and then drove around the city. Brad brought us to his Queensland Fire Station. I was able to take pictures of the firetrucks and tour the fire house. Lynda and I were looking for the "hunky" firemen but all we found was "chunky." Ohhh wellll.... ;)

Today is Australia Election Day, Brad and Lynda are off to vote and happy to know that the political adds are over since they have been media heavy for the past 4 weeks...that's nothing though, we still have 7 1/2 months! BLECK. They joked that I should come and vote too...must not be as strict as American voting rules..hehe.

I went for my second solo run this morning..another 10k. (anyone able to convert?? hehe) It is just a crazy feeling running the streets of Australia! Even crazier that I haven't gotten lost!

Qut is hosting a BBQ for the international students and our host families. They have invited Qut students to join us also so it will be great to meet more friends! The sun is out and we are all ready for a beautiful day! The girls and I are planning to train to Brisbane tonight- about 45 minutes from Morayfield. We will see what the city has to offer us crazy gals!

Happy spring break to all my Mankato student teachers!! Enjoy your time off - come visit if you'd like!

<3 Mel xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment