Thursday, April 12, 2012

I heart Sydney.

G'day everyone! I hope everyone had a fabulous bunny day! Easter Sunday I surprised my host family with Easter baskets Schwartz style. I made Easter "zip-locs" just like my great-grandmother used to do for all of us! I brought candy from America for Easter treats and left a note thinking the boys and Lynda would be sleeping (Brad was on night shift at the fire department) but they woke up before me and found their bags..the boys and Lynda LOVED them! I was so excited to see their reactions and trying some of my favorite Easter candy for brekky.

Bruce, Megan and Kari's host dad picked me up for the airport as we were headed for Sydney! Bruce greeted me by saying, "I hardly recognized you with clothes on!" I was quite taken off guard by his comment then realizing he meant with a regular outfit and not my running clothes! (thank the lord!) They live not too far from Pig's Hollow so he has seen me out for my early morning runs. It was a very interesting and hilarious way to start the morning and a fabulous trip.

We finally arrived to the airport in which we thought was plenty of time but with construction about the building we were set off and the announcer was calling last to board for Sydney while we were still printing our boarding passes! We had to literally run through security and to our gate while the line was dwindling down we made it just in the knick of time! We had to board from the tarmac which was a first for me.. I felt like the president! haha :)

Once we finally made it to Sydney and more importantly to our Menzies hotel, I walked through the markets with Lynn and Megan until we were able to check into our room. The markets were held at The Rocks on Sundays so it was great to see that part of Sydney and also get our first glimpse at the Opera House and Harbor Bridge! It was very cloudy our first day but it did not rain on our excitement.. I was thrilled to see the iconic building and bridge and could not wait for my four-day adventure to begin!

The first night we all went to the 333 Bar for dinner which was amazing! We all ordered a drink and the bar tender who was making Lynn and my drink dropped the mixer so he made us a free drink to hold us over and then brought out our drink we ordered later...for free! What a nice way to start the evening. Lynn and I shared a chicken avocado burger which was so yummy.

Our first full day started off by me answering the door in my eye patches at 8:04am .... it was Megan and Kari ready to go and I forgot to set my alarm! I hurried to get ready and Lynn and I met them at Starbucks for brekky. I brought a box of granola bars so I didn't have to buy breakfast every morning and just drank the hotel coffee.. am I my father's daughter or what? :) love you daddy!

Next, we went on the  Hop On Hop Off tour around Sydney- a 90 minute tour that lasted 2 hours and 10 minutes.. at least we got our money worth! Lynn and I "hopped off" with one last stop to go at The Rocks to go back to some shops and grab some lunch. While venturing off we must have looked like we knew what we were doing because people stopped us to ask for directions...

After lunch Lynn and I wanted to head to Bondi Beach so we were waiting at a cross walk and 2 guys wave at us from across the street... knowing me.. I look behind me (how embarrassing!) then they laugh and mock me by doing the same. I felt so dumb so Lynn and I turn around and walk the other way! They boys come our way and then go to the grocery store near us and Lynn and I keep walking. After the coast was clear we turn back going the previous direction- I have my handy dandy map in hand and we are literally scratching our heads figuring out which way to go. Next thing we know they guys are back with their groceries and walking up to us saying, "you must be American." Startled, we look up and laugh... how could they tell? They mimic us again holding an imaginary map and scratching their heads. They introduce themselves as Chris and Syd, Syd as in the character in Ice Age.. haha. They ask us where we are headed and guide us towards the correct bus stop. After making small talk and having some Gelatisimso ice cream we part ways thanking them for all their help.

Finally, we made it to Bondi Beach and it is even more beautiful than pictures can do justice! Walking along the beach was so amazing and you would just see heaps and heaps of people. While enjoying the afternoon stroll I spotted a man with a Minnesota Twins shirt on! Before I knew what I was doing I heard myself calling out, "Hey, are you from Minnesota?!" They laugh and we greet each other with where we are from and what we are doing in Sydney Australia. Lynn and I tell them that we are teaching abroad through a program with MSU, Mankato..shocked they say that they are visiting their daughter that is studying abroad in New Castle through MSU, MANKATO! SMALL WORLD! In fact, she was right up the beach! We went up to meet her and talked to her for awhile..they were all so great proving that the Minnesota Nice characteristic lives on around the world. After leaving our friendly family a guy sunning called out to us, "we love your accents!" ... I was flattered ....

That evening Lynn and I treated ourselves to a dinner on Jackson on Georges, a nice restaurant a short walk from our hotel. We shared a bruchetta and veggie pasta.. if that were not enough we decided to make a pit stop on the way home to Max Brenner's Chocolate Bar! We split the Fondue for Two... yes very romantic although I am guessing she was wishing she was with her boyfriend Mark and not me... lol. Sorry Mark! The fondue was amazing! It came with milk and dark chocolate, strawberries, banana bread bits, bananas, and marshmallows...YUM.

Tuesday morning we woke up to go to the early bird Opera House tour! The tour guide was not as good as some of the tour guides in London or Paris that my family and I would "rate." I would give this guy a 5/10. He seemed very nervous and kept forgetting vital information! But all in all it was a great tour and I loved seeing inside the building!

After the Opera House, Lynn and I went to the Royal Botanical Gardens and then by the harbor once again where we saw a family with Duluth, MN sweatshirts! They seemed busy but I am wishing we would have chatted with them too... so crazy! Lynn and I soon stumbled upon the beginning of the Harbor Bridge and I was like a kid on Christmas morning.. I wanted to walk across it so badly! My dad and I walked across the Golden Gate Bridge and I wanted to add this one to my list. Well, Lynn let me and we walked across the windy bridge and I was on cloud nine! Although, I would not get too close to the side railings because I am scared of heights...

Lunch time ... Lynn and I needed a quick fix so we stopped at Mackas.. or McDonalds for happy meals! I got a chicken wrap with apple slices.. If America doesn't have those happy meals they must get them! Anyway, the lady next to us over heard our accents and couldn't help but ask where we were from.. turns out she was from Indiana! Juli was a singer on the cruise ship that was ported at the harbor. Juli shared her stories of living and traveling around the world and working on a cruise ship for the past two years, it was so interesting meeting her and hearing what she has been through and her exciting stories.. makes me realize the world is mine and I can do whatever I could dream of right now. Of course, her love story of meeting her boyfriend on the ship kept my interest as well.. :)

After lunch Lynn and I went back to the hotel for timtams and coffee and a quick rest before walking to a new part of town: Darling Harbor! We went to the biggest imax theater in the world: the screen was 7 stories!! We wanted to see Titanic in 3D here but they were booked until Sunday... boo! On our way home we thought we would try a new way back... feeling lost at dusk we started to get a little worried but then kaboom!* we literally ran into our...like my mom always said, "the best way to find your way around is to get lost!" thanks moma! xoxo

That night Lynn and I were craving Subway so we once again went out to find the nearest Subway.. which shouldn't have been too difficult since they are everywhere here but we ended up walking around the city for awhile .. which turned out to be okay because the city at night was so great! I loved it, and we found our Subway! ps: Subway here has shredded carrots...take notes America!! sandwich with carrots = yummy. We got back to our hotel to eat and flip through channels while relaxing we found a reality show called, "I want to be a farmer" where couples compete to own a farm! A little different from the bachelor.... later the girls were convinced Max Brenner's Chocolate Bar was worth trying so we all made the trip (yes, it was worth it to go twice!) Lynn and I split a chocolate brownie warmed up with chocolate drizzle... oh man so good!

The next morning was departing day..however we didn't actually depart until 9:25pm so we had all day! Too bad we all had a case of "too much Sydney" and the weather was crappy... cold and raining! So after shopping in the morning Lynn, Jordyn, Andrea and I set up fort in the hotel lobby with a deck of cards and literally sat there for 6+ hours playing ended card games! Not exactly what you would think we would do while in Sydney but it was just perfect for the rainy weather. We had arranged for a driver to pick us up from the hotel at 6pm to go to the airport... 6:24 came and went and no driver.. traffic was a nightmare and taxis were EXPENSIVE. Our next best bet was to catch the train.. thankfully the train station was across the street so we dragged our bags over and underground 2 floors to the ticket booth.. of course we couldn't get concession, or student discount, by the cranky ticket guy so we paid $15.40 a person for a 20 minute ride to the hotel.. oh well.. at least we got there! We all got subway at the hotel and were so ready to be "home"! After a quick 1 hour and 9 minute flight, and ROUGH LANDING, we made it back to Brisbane! Brad was waiting to pick Megan, Kari and me up and bring us back to Morayfield. Brad mentioned the boys were going to try to wait up for my late arrival.. and they were! The boys and Lynda greeted me when I got back.. the boys even drew me pictures of the Opera House and a Huntsman spider.. haha so cute!

Today, I slept in until 8..skyped my moma, chatted with Mak and went for a run! Lynda and I made veggie sandwiches and then Lorraine came and we went to Bribie Island. Although it was chilly, the boys still swam while us ladies chatted on the beach. We also stopped for a cappuccino..they are fancy dancy here and so good! Tonight, I am catching up on some laundry.. blogging (obviously) and had a fabulous dinner of sausage and a veggie salad created by Brad.. I had 3 helpings of salad.. I cannot get enough of these fresh veggies! Tomorrow I am off to the famous Australia Zoo and a Broncos footy game! So excited.

For those of you still reading.. kudos to you! You get a prize when I return.. haha. Thanks for reading and catching up with my Sydney weekend. I truly fell in love with Sydney. It was such a great city, easy to get around and the people were wonderful! It was kind of nice that it was geared towards tourists especially for a quick holiday there such as mine. I HIGHLY recommend anyone to go there while in Australia..and don't forget the chocolate bar while you are at it! ;)

love always
Mel xoxo

1 comment: