Friday, April 27, 2012

Who Knew Miley Cyrus Could Say It So Well...?

As I finally laid down to blog a bit before bed my itunes shuffled to this song and it made me think of my whole experience here in Australia and how I have just packed up my entire room to go home already...

Here we are now
Everything is about to change
We face tomorrow as we say goodbye to yesterday
A chapter ending but the stories only just begun
A page is turning for everyone

So I’m moving on

Letting go
Holding on to tomorrow
I’ve always got the memories while I’m finding out who I’m gonna be
We might be apart but I hope you always know
You’ll be with me wherever I go
Wherever I go


Its time to show the world we’ve got something to say
A song to sing out loud we’ll never fade away
I know I’ll miss you but we’ll meet again someday
We’ll never fade away

So I’m moving on

Letting go
Holding on to tomorrow
I’ve always got the memories while I’m finding out who I’m gonna be
We might be apart but I hope you always know
You’ll be with me wherever I go


Okay Hannah Montana... I have to let go of my new Aussie family and memories here and go back home to reality. As excited I am to see my family and friends, graduate, celebrate Ashley's 21st, welcome Chelsea's baby girl, watch my best friend get MARRIED..it makes my heart ache to leave this new place I have called home. I know I will see these wonderful people again and we will keep in touch. I have been in such denial that I have been leaving that it is beginning to hit me like a ton of bricks..

Yesterday beginning at afternoon tea during school, about 1:30, the MSU students gathered in the conference room to meet with Jenny from Qut to give our presentations about our experience. There was some tears, many laughs, and unbreakable smiles reflecting on this amazing trip, realizing just how LUCKY we have all been to be here and have an opportunity that many will never have in their lifetime. After our presentations, our cooperating teachers were waiting for us in the library for a farewell gathering with cake, fruit, certificates, and children's books for us! It was a very nice little shin-dig before our last day!

I got home around 5pm and corrected maths tests.. my teacher said she would be more than happy to correct them but I insisted since I had taught the whole maths unit on integers, I was curious to see if the student had actually learned anything. ;) I am happy to say the students did GREAT and my teacher was even impressed at their scores!

We had lasagna and veggie salad for dinner and then Brad, Lynda and I started our assembly line for sandwiches the next day! Funny, but this time is one of my favorite parts of the day. I guess it takes very little to keep me happy..!

Brad brought me to the shopping center while he dropped Corey off at guitar lessons. It was weird because he just left me at the door, I had no phone, or anyone with me.... just an old fashion plan that I would meet him at the door in exactly an hour. It was weird going to the shops by myself.. usually I am with them... or Mak at home! :) It was actually really nice and relaxing though just walking around.. I noticed how different it was here than at home too. The shops here all close by 4pm everyday besides Thursday, they close at 9pm.. so last night the shops were "the place to be"! 

Lynda and I had about 4 laugh attacks last night, I think Brad might be counting down the hours I leave...the house is getting a little TOO girly... sorry Brad! :) Lynda had asked if I wanted some crackle, as in the nail polish, while I was doing my nails, Brad yelled from the couch that he would love some too... dead serious. We rolled in laughter realizing he thought we were talking about some sort of biscuit, or cookie! The rest of the evening was ours, laughing at anything and everything Brad did or said...

This morning I was planning on going for a run and Corey wanted to come with me and ride his bike.. however 5:45am came WAY too quickly and it was chilly out this morning so I decided to sleep in .... when I woke up an hour later I went out to find Corey WAITING on a stool in the middle of the hallway in his "workout" clothes...I busted out laughing! Although, I did feel bad because he had been waiting for me since 6:00am! BUT a little piety for me... I have invited the boys to every run for them to ride their bikes but they NEVER got up.. so I didn't think twice about Corey actually waking up to come this morning.. what are the chances... right? Let's just say, Corey cried wolf one too many times!

So I got to school and went to go meet the girls to take a picture at the front gate by the Morayfield East State School sign. Jenny from Qut met us to give out our final papers and say goodbye. She gave me the biggest hug and said the sweetest words to me. I couldn't hold it in anymore and started sobbing... first cry: check! THEN I went to take a picture by the MSU sign in the office and asked Megan to take a picture with me since 4 years ago we started the journey of college together as random roommates and now here we are in Australia together.... who would have thought?! We both started sobbing right there in the office... Cry two..CHECK!

Once the kids arrived at school, I had put myself together a bit. They were sad it was my last day, I was showered with gifts...wine glass, homemade candles, chocolates, lotions, body washes, cards, etc. I could not believe how generous they all were!

I brought the students my USA cupcakes and MSU, Mankato pencils..which they LOVED! The students said they will never use the pencils because they want to remember me forever.. so precious!

We had sport again today so I went with our year 7 students to the fields to play some softball! They played Bribie Island, which IRONICALLY Yasmin, a Qut student who came to MN in December was coaching! So I got a picture with her... so funny! It was nice to run into her before I left.

After school my students came into my class and would not leave! They kept lining up for hugs and would get back in line... so funny and sweet. My cooperating teacher gave me a great big hug and had very touching words to say. I am so lucky to have had this experience, I could not have planned it any better!

After school the boys and I painted canvas that I had bought yesterday. Coleby painted a fruit basket, the pool, a timtam, and a rainbow. Cale painted all the flavors of timtams, and Corey was creative and made a colorful grid! I decided to make a heart with gold swirls and a double c in the middle for all the boys initials.. I am going to leave the painting here for them to hang in "my room," yes.... Brad and Lynda... MINE... not...anyone else's..... HAHA ;)

Finally, after our masterpieces were complete we all freshened up and headed for Montezumas! A mexican restaurant that we have been planning to go to since week one.. and it is already here! WOWZA! It was delish! Lynda and I shared an enchilada plate and some pina coladas... I have never ordered pina coladas before. mmmmm! Then we stopped at the Caboolture Sports Club for the boys to play in the kids club while us adults had coffee. It was so nice relaxing for a bit while the boys were being entertained.

Once we got home we were all too full to move. Brad went to bed shortly after since he works tomorrow. Cale had a rough night and was crying most of the night once we got home... he is sad I am leaving.... breaks my heart right in half! Then I was tucking Coleby in bed and he says to me, "Mel, I am missing you already..." what do I say to that?! HOW do I hold back the tears myself?! No one warned me that leaving would be THIS hard.. I just make myself sick every time I think about saying goodbye.

I have basically packed up my whole room so tomorrow I will just have to do last minute cleaning..Minnesota nice is to leave the room more tidy than when you found it... HA! I know I have so much to look forward to.. and I am so anxious to see everyone when I get back!

Thanks for reading..!   ......if you are still awake :) I have loved hearing that many of you are enjoying following my trip!

love always
Mel xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment