Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Minnesota has mermaids?? No...ROOMMATES!

Hi there! It is ANZAC day today which means much more than no school, but it was a fabulous day off!

I woke up to a rainy morning, not exactly what I had in mind but started off the day with some brekky and then skyped with my long lost Mak! It was so good to catch up with her.. cannot believe we are GRADUATING in a week and a half... AHHH! So excited but so much to focus on....much of it will be planned by the College Town pool! Whoop whoop.

After skyping, and yes, the entire family got to talk to Mak..how lucky! :) I had morning tea and worked on a presentation I will give tomorrow afternoon to the Morayfield East Principal and Qut staff about my trip. I planned on making cupcakes for my students so Lynda and I took advantage of the gloomy weather and started baking. Little did we know this would turn into "My Kitchen Rules," a reality tv cooking show here... and we would be still baking well into the afternoon! First we made the cupcakes with our own frosting and I wrote USA on them in blue frosting.. so cute! Oh, and I added red sprinkles to the cake mix to make my own version of  confetti cake! Next, I was explaining how I used to make cakes using Sprite for a "lower calorie" option with my roommates last year. Brad did not believe me so he went and bought more cake mix to try it! Sadly, our first cake we put too much sprite in it so it turned out to be more of a lemon-lime pudding....so we tried a chocolate cake with coke! This turned out much better! We made chocolate frosting and even added sprinkles.

The best part was the neighbor kids across the street were baking with their mum too so they brought cookies shaped in stars and chocolate slice (brownies) to us wrapped all nicely..so Lynda and I as a joke sent the kids over with the "pudding cake" that looked like a slab of pudding with butter frosting... they were so kind and said they loved it! haha so when we made the good chocolate cakes... mini cakes in heart molds... we brought those to them as well. Just a nice neighborhood bake off!

So the day turned out to endless cake baking...and way too much taste testing! Lynda and I took a rest from the kitchen out by the pool where Brad was hard at work painting the fence around the pool. We kept him entertained.. or should I say his lack of hearing kept US entertained. I was talking about my roommates (all good things girls.. I promise) and he said, "Minnesota has mermaids?!" .... laughing hysterically we responded, "NO! ROOMMATES" Oh my gosh, ok, maybe you had to be there but trust me.. it was hilarious!

Finally, Lynda and I decided it was time for a walk around the block... which was about 5k. It was great for just us girls to go out on a powerwalk and continue our day long chats about who knows what!

We had a delicious dinner.. as always! For dessert we taste tested our chocolate hearts and had a glass of coke and hazelnut rum... when is Oz, right?!

Tomorrow is back to school... two more days. It makes me sick thinking of leaving here. Although, I have a lot to look forward to when I get back. I am very blessed.

love always
Mel xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment