Friday, April 13, 2012

The (Steve) Irwin's talked to me! I'm famous!

Hi there everyone! Yesterday was a busy day for me and my fellow MSU gals. First of all, I woke up at 5:50am to get my daily run in. :) At 8:15 Lynda brought Megan, Kari and me to Qut to meet up with the other girls, Jenny, Janelle, and her husband Clyde to head for the famous Australia Zoo! I rode with Lynn, Andera, Janelle's daughter Abby and her husband Clyde. I had to laugh at myself thinking of how my soccer girls used to always say I blab on and on sometimes just to hear myself talk.... I totally felt that way on the ride to the zoo...just blabbing up a storm asking anything and sharing more information than probably necessary. Oh well, made the ride that much more exciting..hehe.

First stop at the zoo was the Animal Hospital. We were able to see vets work on a koala who was hit by a car and lost it's leg..we also saw the vets wrap a koala's broken arm. It was so sad but I learned a bit about animal rescue here in Australia.

Next, we headed into the zoo. I was like a little kid in a lollie store searching for the kangaroos! I have only seen kangas once during my time here so far so I was very anxious. After passing the boring, "World's Largest Tortoise" and the Chameleon Dragon sitting on a rock changing colors at the speed of paint drying..we FINALLY made it to Roo Haven! I sped ahead of Nina, Ashley, and Lynn to see the little precious babies.. it was so cool we were able to pet them and feed them. They were so kind and calm...probably medicated but I did not want to think about that. I was able to get some great pictures of the kangaroos- one was of Lynn by a roo that started to ahem, go number two...her face is priceless though!

WOW- I just accidentally deleted everything I have written thus far... thank goodness for "undo"! crikey!

After the croc show we walked around a bit and saw the koala show, dingoes, camels, etc. Lynn, Ashley and I went to one more croc show where the croc was not cooperating and stayed under water longer than anticipated.. it made it exciting for the viewers waiting on the edge of our seats for when the dangerous dragon will snap up for the turkey! I also rode a horse.. or maybe an oversized pony. Anyway, it's name was Chex and very nice the old man guiding me around the circle was interested in Minnesota and my stay here in Oz.. he loved my accent..but then again how could you not?

Later, we saw the tiger temple which was really neat.. I didn't know they "sprayed" to mark their territory! It is interesting the things you can learn at the zoo. We also went to the elephant feeding and I was able to give an elephant a slice of cantelope for a mid-morning snack. We all lined up in a big converter belt style line and had to keep moving. The elephant would suck the piece of fruit from your hand and bring it to it's mouth by the trunk. It was such a goofy feeling, not at all what I had expected!

Lynn, Ashley and I took the zoo shuttle to "Africa" to see the rhino, giraffes, and "zed-bras" (they pronounce z as zed here). After sweating it out in Africa we headed towards the croceseum for a Wild Adventure Show! The entertainers were absolutely wonderful and they brought out amazing birds that I have never seen. Birds were flying around the stadium to "Thunder Struck" and one even landed right in front of me! They were so beautiful and presenters themselves. To introduce the first croc the music went loud and intense.. the presenter was nervous awaiting for the croc to arrive from the pool gates.. turns out it was a baby croc and just hilarious from the silly build-up they did. Since the zoo is named after the late Steve Irwin, they talked about how his family, Terri, Bundi, and Robert would have an afternoon with a lucky family that wins in a auction to spend time with them. However, it was school holiday still so they still came out anyway! This totally made the show above and beyond great! Terri was amazing and the kids were so funny. They mentioned something about America so us girls started cheering and they looked up at us and asked where we were from and we yelled, "Minnesota!" Terri asked us what our mall was called..speaking of Mall of America.. we all responded enjoying every second of our 15 seconds of fame. :)

Oofta! I full day at the zoo..and we weren't going to bed yet! It was off the Caboolture train station for the Broncos Rugby game! We were all starving but had to deal with the hour train ride first. Once we got to Brisbane it was spitting rain and cold-as, BUT that did not damper our attitude on the night's big event. Walking to the stadium I was for some reason leading the group of girls.. at one point Jordyn asked how I knew where I was going? I said, "I don't I am just following people.." Good tactic on my part though because we made it the 800 meters from the station to the stadium safe and sound! Most of us brought warm, dry clothes.. thank goodness, and we finally got to fill our tummies once we got to the stadium.

We found our seats, which we expected to be in the "nose-bleeds"...but what a pleasant surprise to be SECOND ROW from the field. We could see the player's tattoos and smell their sweat. Being this close probably was not fair to the die-hard fans who were sitting 58 rows back when we didn't even know what a "touch-down" was... well, they call it a "try" I think?? BUT it was so much fun for us! And the Brisbane Broncos WON 24-6 (I think..hehe)

After the game we followed the cattle of people to the train station for the long ride home.. all exhausted after a fabulous, jam-packed day!

Today I was able to sleep in a bit past 8. The Coogans are doing yard work so I faked slamming my finger in the door so I wouldn't have to help.... haha just kidding family ;) I am going to go for a run and them help them out! I have decided since Spaghetti Squash is no where to be found in the state of Queensland, so before I leave here I will cook my family Tator Tot Hotdish.. which they call their tator tots potato gems.. so Potato Gem Hotdish?? and some bruchetta :))

A little shout out to my baby sister's premiere soccer team playing in Kansas City this weekend for their first tourney of the "summer"! Good luck girls! <3 you all! & cannot forget the wonderful coaches my daddy and Ryan!

Well, off to enjoy some sunshine!

love always
Mel xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment