Thursday, April 5, 2012

Roughin' It

Well everyone.. I made it back from camping alive and well!

I have a lot of catching up to do so sit back, relax and enjoy!

Sunday morning I woke up at the crack of dawn and went for a run before we packed up for Tallebudgera. Our first pit stop was to Yatala Pies for my very first meat pie. I chose to try a chicken and veggie meat pie which tasted like a chicken pot pie. I also tried Lynda's chicken curry pie which had a bit more spice to it but very tasty!

Once we got to camp we set up...yes, WE. I did help everyone! I put up the tent and even nailed some stakes into the ground. I admit, I did use to wrong part of the hammer at first...FYI it is a bit more difficult to use the "ax" looking side!  After camp was set up Brad took the kayak out for a spin and Lynda and I were able to chat at the beach while the boys swam.

Later, we all went for a walk up the streets near our campsite to find some local shops. For dinner Brad made some steak and mushrooms on the BBQ while Lynda and I cut up some fresh veggies..and of course washed it all down with some moscato. First bottle of many during our time at Tallebudgera! :)

After dinner we cleaned up and went for a nighttime walk to the ocean..this was amazing being by the beach, the only people, at night listening to the waves wash up to the shore. Some spitting rain, or sprinkling, cut our walk short and we raced back to camp and had a timtam with kahlua coffee. Kahlua coffee turned our occasional timtam into biting the ends off to use them as straws...let me tell you- it was quite comical! Did I mention the stars.....the stars were AMAZING! Last week a student of mine asked if we have "different" stars in America. I was confused by the question but Mrs. Knight assured them that we see different stars being in different parts of the world. Very interesting. We were able to spot the southern cross every night with ease..

Monday we were woken up at 6am by a screaming baby in the caravan next door... if this is not considered roughing it... I do not know what is! So we decided to get up and go for an early morning hike up the Burleigh Head Mountain. I went into the bathroom... (yes, no peeing in the trees for me!) and was going to put in the code and a little girl in front of me trying to get in asked if I knew the code, I told her while showing her and all she could say while staring at me was, "oh, I like your accent" and went along her way into the bathroom.. HA!

Lynda and I were making morning coffee joking that we shouldn't put kahlua in it this time and Coleby overheard us and said, "You can if you want to mummy and Mel, I won't tell anyone.."

Next, we hiked up Burleigh Head and Coleby wore my Garmin, we busted a couple miles in while getting an incredible view of the surf beach. We also paddled through the lagoon and canels up to the surf beach where the water is clear as day and simply indescribable.

I had some down time in the sun so Lynda and I enjoyed reading magazines and I continued to read "The Lucky One" given to me by the bestest friend ever Mak! It is so good, I have now found myself to not read too much so it won't end! Later we went to the local mall, or shopping center as they call it here in Oz! Lynda and I picked up a chuck (aka chicken) and fresh fruit for dinner. We may have stopped by a BSW (beer, spirits and wine) shop for more moscato too... our nights camping just are not complete without a glass or two of wine, some coffee and kahlua and a timtam! yikes... we need to slow down!

Once again, we capped off the night under the stars with NO BUGS and beautiful weather.

Tuesday we woke up and Brad was making scrambled eggs. I was the head veggie cutter and decided to add some cucumbers to the mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini , and onion. I did not think it was THAT crazy but Lynda and Brad had a huge laugh and Brad even picked out the cucumber. It was this moment that I realized Brad would fit in wonderfully with my fabulous uncles who LOVE to give smartie pants comments to me...and never let them down! :) ((love you uncles reading this....)

Next, we walked off our eggs by hiking up the mountain once again. The scenery never gets old! Lynda and I raced back to the pool to catch up on some reading and then continued our hard day at the Surf Beach...let me tell you... camping was an eye opening experience...offta it was ROUGH! ;)

In the afternoon the tide was just right that Lynda, Cale and I went to the calm lagoon and walked up against the tide and then floated down on the boogie boards. It was such a fun feeling being carried down the water by the waves like that. So cool! I learned quite a bit about the tide and how it correlates with the moon so if you have any questions... feel free to ask! I must share a funny...when we were standing in the tide Cale, Lynda and I took off our flip-flops and watched them float.. Lynda came up with the idea that we have "thong races"! I about died laughing... even though I am quite used to them referring flipflops to thongs... the context sometimes just gets me!

During a walk along the beach I spotted a gecko.. Brad tried to chase me with it but Lynda scolded him.. hehe boys vs. girls. Girls rule boys drool....

We had an AMAZING afternoon tea! With a smorgasbord of goodies including nutella and strawberries... they have never had this before and it was MY TIME to show them something new to try. They all tried it and loved it (duh!) and I see this being a new frequent afternoon tea.

Wednesday...whew! who's still with me?! I FINALLY got out for my run. I went up the mountain and along the coast.. do people seriously get to do that everyday because if so.. I am totally jealous!! After I got back we all went for another paddle to the surf and into the canals.. however the surge was very strong so at one point we were just basically twirling in circles and my sisterly love towards Corey came out for the first time threatening to whack him  with my paddle if he said I was paddling wrong again... love the kid though! :)

For lunch we had veggie sandwiches..YUM! then went back to the pool. A woman asked if she could borrow a magazine since I had 7 of them and she forgot her reading material at camp. I handed her an US magazine and them put my palm to my forehead... probably NOT what I would want a person to get an impression of America... Snooki's pregnancy and Lindsey Lohan's traumatic plastic surgery....

We later went shopping and then to the Surf Club for dinner. Lynda and I shared a stir fry and had vodka cruisers before dessert which was chocolate cake slices and a lemon tart. Way too good and I have to stop myself! We are now whining off of kahlua, timtams and cake.... after tonight.

Thursday I woke up at 6:21 to a fresh morning  breeze with birds singing and the sun shining after a soft rain last night. I tried to go back to sleep but looked at the time a mere five minutes later so I decided to get up and go for a run.. best idea ever. So beautiful. I went up the mountain one last time until next year..hehe and found a new path that is basically "back stage" for the surfers. I was amazed at the number of surfers out that early, I stopped just to watch the waves for a bit. I had to laugh at one "surfer dude" galloping up the mountain to the rock entrance and friendly slapped a tourist and gave him the "hang ten" sign saying in the most surfer voice you can imagine "hey....dudeee.... get your board and let's catch some waves man....." Later on my run I saw a gecko two feet long.....sickkkkk!!!!

When I got back I helped pack up the tent and we stopped by Old MacDonald's farm animals that came to visit the campsite. Brad got Lynda, himself and I a ginger beer....which is not really beer... more like a tasty ginger ale, but it came in a cool glass so I kept it.

I slept on the way home with felt amazing...we unpacked and had sandwiches in the Bali Hut not bad to come home to! Afterward, Lynda and I headed to the shopping center to get groceries which turned into an interesting trip to the bank, kmart, Michael Hill, and a book store. I just love spending girl time with my mum, she is absolutely fabulous!

I have been wanting to make my family puppy chow so at the grocery store I tried to find the ingredients but unfortunately instead of chex I had to use rise krispies, known as rice bubbles here. Their chocolate chips are different, they do not have powered sugar so we used icing sugar... haha needless to say it was hardly puppy chow, but after our yummy tacos for dinner the boys tried it with ice cream and it wasn't half bad!

I got to skype with my parents tonight! Miss them so much. It is so nice to hear everything in the states is going well. I miss everyone so much, but am having the best time here in Oz! Tomorrow my host family is taking me to the yacht races.. :)

love always
Mel xoxo








No comments:

Post a Comment